Tuesday, June 16, 2009

In the last week, I had a chance to watch the movie "Yes Man" starring veteran comedian Jim Carrey. I found this movie to be quite hilarious and the perfect movie to watch at home with friends and family.

Oddly, this movie taught a valuable lesson that I feel is very important. Jim's character in the movie, Carl, said yes to everything because he had to, and this eventually blew up in his face. It in a sense, made him a liar because he didn't express his true feelings all the time.

There was a point in time, when I said yes to keep the peace. I figured if I never went against the grain I could maintain most of my friendships. Just like the film, this ended up being a disaster. People saw that I was not comfortable with all of my compliance. I eventually looked like the bad guy in their eye because I would perform actions but there would be no emotion behind and this made me look fake.

Now, I sing a different tune. I have found myself and learned to be honest with me. I shouldn't have to say yes to be a peace keeper. I just need to be myself at all times and do things because I want. That in turn will make me genuine. Life is too short to fake it.

The Billboard 200